Downed Power Lines
During emergency situations, downed power lines may be present. Always use extreme caution when approaching the scene of an emergency to ensure that you do not come into contact with any downed power line. Review the following safety tips to be more prepared if an accident or natural disaster occurs:
- Always assume that downed power lines are energized and dangerous.
- Never approach or touch any downed power line.
- Contact LCUB to report downed power lines.
- Never drive over downed power lines.
- If a power line falls over your car, stay inside and do not exit the vehicle, provided it is safe. If you must exit the car because of a fire or other impending emergency, try to jump completely clear of the vehicle to land on both feet. When landing, keep both feet together and shuffle until you are at least 10 feet away from the lines and vehicle.
- Do not try to help others near downed power lines. You will be unable to help them if you are electrocuted in the process. Leave the rescue efforts to emergency personnel and professionally trained crew members.